The Western Australian Curriculum for Mathematics provides students with essential mathematical skills and knowledge in the areas of:
• Number and Algebra
• Measurement and Geometry
• Statistics and Probability
The curriculum focuses on developing:
• Mathematical understanding
• Logical reasoning
• Analytical thought
• Problem-solving skills.
These capabilities enable students to respond to familiar and unfamiliar situations by employing mathematical strategies to make informed decisions and solve problems efficiently.
The Western Australian Curriculum for Mathematics aims to ensure that students:
• Are confident, creative users and communicators of mathematics, able to investigate, represent and interpret situations in their personal and work lives and as active citizens
• Develop an increasingly sophisticated understanding of mathematical concepts and fluency with processes, and are able to pose and solve problems and reason in Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, and Statistics and Probability
• Recognise connections between the areas of mathematics and other disciplines and appreciate mathematics as an accessible and enjoyable discipline to study.
At South Thornlie Primary School, teachers plan a range of activities to teach Maths, including:
• Hands on tasks
• The use of concrete materials
• Various question types
• Word problems
• The teaching of specific vocabulary
Physical Education at South Thornlie Primary School
All students from Year 1 to Year 6 participate in a Specialist Music Program at South Thornlie Primary.